Saturday, March 14, 2009

Working Lunches

Drat! I just realized it is Pi Day, and I have forgotten again. Sigh.

You know what I hate more than almost anything else? Eating lunch at my desk. Bleagh! First of all, I am very accident prone (I once spilled the same cup of tea twice within 2 minutes) and anyone who's looked at my files has probably come across one or two that has been baptized by coffee. More importantly, it means that I don't get a real break, except for the 10 minutes or so that it takes to go out and pick up a sandwich or whatever. I really, really don't like that. I need that lunch hour to calm down (I get umm....a little worked up frequently) and to relax and complain and generally unwind.

Anyway, thanks to my workload it's been hard to get out and eat proper lunches lately. Normally this means terribly unhealthy delivery or takeout but fortunately a new(ish) Japanese grocery/deli, Dainobu opened up around the corner. (Its current location used to be a Burger King and the exterior is still recognizable as such.) It's not a bad choice for a fast, relatively healthy lunch, with a good choice of pre-packed bentos, sushi, onigiri, etc. There is also the option of made on the spot udon and curry dishes, not to mention a good selection of frozen and packaged convenience foods and basic grocery items...and desserts! Here are some lunches I've had from there recently.

Lunch from Dainobu

Chirashi sushi, with multi-grain rice. Not bad quality for around 8 bucks, even if I am not a big fan of fake crab. I'm pretty sure this is made from the scraps of fish left after the nigiri sushi is made, but eh! Beats the same old deli sandwiches! Also please to note my Yakult and the healing power of 8 billion lactobacilli. Here's a close up:

Chirashi close-up

I should check to see if they have just an ikuradon. I love the way salmon roe pops when you bite it.

Desk-Lunch

Here's a much sadder lunch at my desk, also purchased at Dainobu. Shin Ramyun spicy instant ramen (my favorite!), a small portion of chicken karaage, and a tempura shrimp riceball. I think I will pass on the karaage next time; it's a bit too greasy for me.

Afternoon Snack

And the same day, for an afternoon snack, I had a steamed Japanese cheesecake (a cheese mushi pan) which was lovely and very, very light. And of course, another Yakult. I'm not sure I believe that it's actually got any health benefits, but with the way colds travel around our office, I need all the help I can get.

Dainobu
129 E. 47th St. between Lexington and 3rd
212-755-7380

No comments: