Monday, December 21, 2009

LES Girls Club Holiday Cookie Swap--the results!

DSC_1512

Well this past weekend was very busy--as I mentioned before, I participated in the first Lower East Side Girls Club Holiday Cookie Swap and Bakeoff on Saturday and had a GREAT TIME. I did not win, but I didn't even care--it was a super fun time and I sold every single cookie I brought (about 120) and all in all, the event raised quite a bit of money for the Girls Club. Above is my display; I brought Totoro along to act as mascot (although no one recognized him!) and preside over my green tea shortbread and pineapple tarts. The judging was a bit disorganized and I wish I had had a chance to chat with them but it was so busy that I didn't chat much with anyone except for the lovely ladies on either side of me. I mostly got positive reactions to my cookies, except for the two girls who walked by and said "oh, these flavors are too...mature...for us". I'm still trying to figure out if I should be offended or not :) And, enough of my babbling, here are some photos of the other cookies on offer:

DSC_1510

Candy cane meringues from the lady on my right! These were the only cookies I got to taste, and they were delicious.

DSC_1514

Cherry Garcia cookies from the lady on my left! I really really wanted to try these, but she said they tasted just like the ice cream. Does that sound awesome or what?

DSC_1516

Apparently I was having shaky hands (probably from lack of sugar) when I took this, but how cute is this display? Pecan tassies! They won third place or honorable mention, I can't remember which.

DSC_1521

Multiple flavors of macarons. Yet another cookie I wanted to try. (Oh, let's face it--I wanted to try every single one.)

DSC_1527

Gorgeous biscotti!

DSC_1530

Monster cookies! The baker who made these also has a blog, complete with recipe, so at least I can make these myself and taste what I was missing out on. Cute name, cuter cookies!

I missed out on taking photos of the winning cookies, the ingenious Pie Pops made by Blondie and Brownie, but I have been assured by a friend who was lucky enough to score one that they were delicious. Besides, who DOESN'T want a pie on a stick? I hope someone was around to help them cart their enormous gift basket home--congratulations!!! :) The full set of photos from the event is here

Tunisienne sausage @ DBGB

Anyway, afterwards, we headed across the street to DBGB (and ran into several fellow bakers--great minds think alike!) and I had a Tunisienne. It was a fab day. Special thanks to my friends for coming out and supporting this event! Hope you had as much fun as I did. And here's hoping that they make this an annual event!

5 comments:

Tenebrous Kate said...

Mature flavors...! I think that's a compliment :) Holy WOW were those pineapple tarts to die for. You are one talented baker, my friend, and earned every bit of praise you received. Well done!

Deborah said...

Oooooooh green tea cookies!! what a cool idea- would love the recipe for that too!
mature flavors indeed.

tofugirl said...

Thanks Kate! I seriously had such a good time there. I have some more cookies for you kids, but I'll put them in the freezer until I see you.

Deborah, I'll be putting up recipes in the next couple of days :D

Sarah/Accoutrements said...

Mature flavors are definitely a compliment! I had a few walk by with peanut allergies and turn their noses up at my cookies too. haaha! You take awesome photos. What kind of camera do you have? I just got the Canon G11 but thinking I should have upgraded.

tofugirl said...

Hi Sarah! Well I wish I had gotten to taste all the other cookies--I only managed to score those yummy candy cane meringues from my neighbor! Thanks for the comment on the photos :D I'm using a nikon d60 with a 60mm f/2.8 lens. That is pretty much the lens I use for all my food photos (and portraits)--it picks up an insane amount of light!