Monday, June 28, 2010

Urban Gardening, Take 2

DSC_0070

Remember this post about my sprouting ginger and sprouting sweet potatoes? Haha, well since then, my "urban gardening" has advanced a level or two, thanks to A Taste of Koko. About a month ago, she held a contest on her blog to win a Chia Herb Garden set, and color me shocked, I won! I never win anything! Thanks, Jane!!

Picnik collage

The kit comes with 6 different seed packets, 3 little pots, and 3 planting "pods." I went with cilantro, parsley, and basil for my first attempt. This photo above is a shot of the basil, two days after I planted them. TWO DAYS, PEOPLE. And you know how crazy-fast this stuff started to grow? The left hand photo was taken at 7 a.m. The right hand photo was taken at 7 p.m. THE SAME DAY. I'm a little worried that I'm going to come back to find my apartment taken over by basil...

DSC_0127

And here's the basil today, 7 days after planting. It seems to have slowed down a little :)

DSC_0128

The cilantro and parsley are both taking a bit longer, but this morning I found that one of the cilantro seeds is an overachiever.

DSC_0129

And here's the parsley, which is starting to get going too. I can't wait until they're big enough to harvest! Oh, and the ginger from my previous post? Well, I've been trying to grow that too.

DSC_0072

It seems to be growing horns...which either means this is some Eeeeeevil ginger, or that it's a supporter of Spain. I think I'd prefer the Eeeeevil ginger. ;)

P.S. It is too freaking hot to turn the oven (or stove!) on. I've been doing most of my cooking in the rice cooker, so baking posts will probably be a little light until it cools down some. I guess I'm just going to have to do some more eating out, or else I won't have anything to post at all!

9 comments:

square kitchen said...

recently i planted some cherry tomatoes, thyme and rosmary on my urban balcony. actually it is really exciting to see plants growing. I love your ciltrano picture.

Bentobird said...

Really beautiful pictures, love this! And eventually you'll have beautiful, home-grown herbs for bento, yay!

tofugirl said...

zwischengang, thanks! I love watching these things grow, I just wish I had more space, so I could grow some veggies and fruit :D Maybe someday...

Bentobird, I am super excited to make pesto from my own basil! I think it'll take a few more weeks though, hehe.

Unknown said...

I want see your room taken over by these herbs, lol!
Well I'll cheer for Spain with the evil ginger hehe.

tofugirl said...

babykins, their growth seems to have slowed down a little....so maybe I won't be attacked by mutant basil :) Spain and Germany semi-final on Wednesday! I am very excited--it'll be like a rematch of the Euro cup :D

square kitchen said...

@ tofugirl: you are so right. to plant some fruits would be the biggest thing... please keep me up to date of your balcony plants.

Megg said...

I love the cilantro seed.. "so long, suckas!!"

tofugirl said...

@zwischengang, will do :D I can't wait until I can cook with fresh herbs, woohoo!

@Megg, it does kind of look like it's trying to escape, right? Hehe.

Unknown said...

That's so exciting! :)