Sunday, August 14, 2011

all the things in my tummy

Salads

A catch-up post of sorts; I haven't been in much of a baking mood but I am starting to get back into a cooking mood, a bit. And of course, I am still getting quite the haul of vegetables every week from the CSA. I've taken to roasting beets and then keeping them in the fridge to toss into salads or to eat plain. Above is one of the many salads I've eaten this summer--watermelon and cucumber (based on a salad we ate at Otto), beets in honey-lime dressing, and mixed greens.

Tomato and mozzarella salad

Another salad with the first of this season's tomatoes--so simple, and so delicious. It's really a genius combination!

Zha jiang mien

Of course, man (or woman) does not live on salad alone, so I made a batch of zha jiang mien. It's basically a ground pork sauce with a load of vegetables in it (in my case, zucchini, onion, and carrots) that you eat over noodles. I topped mine with grated cucumber, but that's totally optional.

CSA Week 9-Fruit Share

Last week I got this epic haul of peaches and pears; I've eaten a bunch just plain as snacks, but I'm thinking I will probably make another batch of jam (and one of plums, too!) and then I'm debating poaching the pears and making an almond pear tart. I mean, assuming things get less crazy of course!

Breakfast Saturday

I do love having homemade jam around though; it made this very simple breakfast of toast and peaches a little more special. And hey, peach jam, AND fresh peaches--I am definitely getting my fill of this fruit this summer!

Niku Jaga

And today, it's finally a bit cooler; cool enough to make me want some good old niku jaga. This is such a comfort food; potatoes and bits of meat (I used pork) simmered in a dashi and soy sauce broth together with carrot chunks, onions, and shirataki noodles.

Margaret's still alive!

And to end the weekend on a positive note--check it out! Margaret's still alive, and has started blooming again. Hooray!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOSH! Everything looks so delicious! You're doing a fabulous job with your CSA bounty!

Also wanted to tell ya that Ping tagged me in this 7-link challenge thing, and I went ahead and tagged you! All the details are here: http://www.popartichoke.com/2011/08/ive-been-tagged.html

tofugirl said...

Ooh, thanks for the tag :D Hopefully I will have time to do it today!