Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Woohoo, it's Pi(e) Day Again!

Concord grape pie

Actually, I have to admit--the idea of eating pie (or anything) right now is making me feel mildly ill. You see, I have just come home from Choice Eats, and my main feeling is that I never want to eat anything again. I AM SO FULL PEOPLE! Well, by tomorrow morning maybe I'll feel differently. After all, is it ever a bad time to eat pie? (Yes, immediately after Choice Eats.) (P.S.--it's tomorrow morning now. Nope, still too full to eat pie. Maybe for dinner tonight.)

Of course, it isn't actually Pie Day. It's Pi Day (3/14, get it?)--but pie is round, so you know, it kind of all fits together.

DSC_0009

I was kind of stuck on what kind of pie to make this year--I just knew I was tired of apples! I basically just browsed around for a while, and even created a board of possibilities on Pinterest. (Wow, what a timesuck Pinterest is! Fun!) In the end, I went with Concord grape, since I still had a bag of them in my freezer, leftover from the CSA last summer. Path of least resistance, that's me.

DSC_0013

The crust was my good old standby super flaky crust, except that I used white whole wheat flour instead of all purpose. The filling is really simple; about 5 cups of Concord grapes, 3/4 cup of sugar, nutmeg, and about 2 tablespoons of tapioca for thickening. (This was the first time using tapioca as a thickener, actually, but I liked the texture it gave the filling.) The most labor-intensive part of the process is getting the grapes ready; for some reason, all the recipes I've ever seen have you pinch the skins off the grapes and then cook the pulp separately. The pulp sure makes for an amazing color though!

baby pies

Ah, pies in the afternoon sunshine. Is there a happier sight? Even if you are still stuffed from Choice Eats? Happy Pi Day!

No comments: